Castle of Lamia
Castle of Lamia
The Castle of Lamia stands the highest point of the city, at the top of a rocky hill. From there, one could control the valley of Sperchius, the peaks of Oiti, of Kallidromos, of the mythical Othrys, of Parnassus, of Giona and of Maliakos Gulf. It is a place that have been inhabited since the Bronze Age (2800-1100 BC) and especially during the Mycenaean period.
In the Classical and Hellenistic period the acropolis was connected with the walls of the lower city and its structure and location strengthened the city’s security and defense against hostile raids. The part that has been preserved since then it has a triangular plan and a perimeter that reaches 600m. and a height that varies to 13 feet in the NW corner. The thickness of the masonry is an average of 1.35m. and ends in toothed ramps. The Castle has two gates, one in the SE, the so-called “iron gate” and one at the NE leading to Orthry. Reinforceable towers are raised near the gates, at the corners of the wall, and at all weak points for defense. The oldest part of its perimeter is built according to the polygonal system and dates to the end of the 5th century. BC, when Lamia became the capital of the State of Malieon and experienced a significant bloom from 413 BC.
It remains uncertain whether there was a renovation of the wall in Justinian’s time. However, the way and the materials of the construction of the walls testify a series of repairs that might have been made during the Byzantine years or even by the Franks and the Catalans. New additions and repairs took place during the Ottoman domination. Inside the Castle is the Archaeological Museum of Lamia